During the month of April, the O’Neill Library digital display (by the POP collection) will showcase a selection of data visualizations, which use a variety of tools and methods, such as GIS, data mining, network analysis, 3D visualization, and Tableau. Each source is linked to the original site where you can further explore the associated data, visualization, or literature.
- LaFarge Timeline (Sarah DeLorme, Digital Services Assistant) reformatted timeline with TimelineJS for John LaFarge Stained Glass in New England: A Digital Guide.
- Boston Marathon Facts 2017 (Allison Xu, Data & Visualization Librarian) created with Kaggle’s Finishers Boston Marathon 2017 dataset.
- Total # of Majors in Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences from the Boston College Fact Book (Institutional Research, Planning & Assessment).
- Cassini’s Grand Tour (NASA, National Geographic, JPL-CalTech) a 3D visualization of NASA’s Cassini spacecraft’s journey to Saturn.
- Sidewalk Snow Removal Map (Massachusetts Snow Resources, Mass.gov) depicts the communities in which homeowners are responsible for snow removal.
- Media sources shared on social media during the 2016 election (Yochai Benkler, Robert Faris, Hal Roberts, Ethan Zuckerman). This data is analyzed in the article, “Breitbart-led right-wing media ecosystem altered broader media agenda,” Columbia Journalism Review (March 3, 2017).
Thanks to the following staff for suggesting several of these resources: Amy Howard and Sarah Melton.