The Digital Studio (DS) in the O’Neill library is dedicated to ensuring the health and safety of our patrons in the Boston College community while still providing access to specialized software and other resources. To this end, the DS is implementing several new guidelines in accordance with the Covid-19 policies set forth by the University and its libraries.
In order to ensure access to workspaces and specialized software while the number of accessible computers is restricted, the DS will be implementing a voluntary reservation system. A reservation will ensure that users have access to a computer with the necessary software, along with any help they might need from the Digital Scholarship Librarians. Users without an appointment will still be welcome to use the space as long as the maximum capacity of the room has not been reached. Reservations can also be made for the large table within the space, as well as the podcasting and sound rooms.
Note: While the Digital Studio follows the hours in which the O’Neill Library is open, reservations for a computer or for the conference table can only be made Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. Hours for the Podcasting and Sound rooms follow the hours for O’Neill Library, so please check that the library is open before making a reservation.
Our computers come with a variety of specialized software. Due to social distancing restrictions, we currently have only 10 computers available at a time.
We currently have 1 large conference table with whiteboards that can be used by up to 2 patrons.
The Podcasting Room is equipped with:
- 2 Audio Technica 2005USB Microphones
- 2 Sets of Audio Technica ATH M20x Headphones
- Mac Workstation with Garage Band and Audacity
- 65″ HDMI flat-screen Samsung Display
- Toshiba DVD and VHS Player with HDMI
- OPPO Blue-ray Disc Player
- JVC Digital Direct Progressive Scan with AV Computer Link (multi-region)
- Panasonic Multi Laser Disc Player (LX-600), Auto Reverse Digital Servo & Advanced Digital TBC
Availability of this space may vary during breaks and holiday periods. If you need to use this space and no bookable hours are visible, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and a staff member will assist you. Capacity is currently limited to 1 person.
Our Sound Room is equipped with:
- 27″ Mac Pro with Camtasia, Finale, Sibelius 8, Pro Tools 11, and Creative Cloud
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
- Yeti Pro USB Condenser Microphone
- Yamaha HS8 Studio Monitors
- Roland XP 30 Keyboard
- Audio-Technica LP60 USB turntable
Availability of this space may vary during breaks and holiday periods. If you need to use this space when the digital studio is not staffed, a key is available at the 3rd floor main circulation desk. Capacity is currently limited to 1 person.
3D Modeling Station
The 3D modeling and scanning station within the Digital Studio is available by reservation during times when the Studio is staffed (9 am – 5 pm, M-F). It offers a space and appropriate equipment to ease the process of taking photos for the creation of a 3D model (photogrammetry) or for taking high-quality photos of objects in general. Members of the BC community are welcome to use the Studio’s equipment (see below) or use their own camera or phone for the process.
Equipment available for use within the Studio:
- Lightbox to keep shadows to a minimum
- Manual turntable with markers approximately every 10 degrees
- Camera tripod
- DSLR camera for taking photos
- iPad Pro for taking laser scans
- Risers for small objects
- Computer with Agisoft Metashape for processing